Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Blaze Of Death

How about that Mother of all Bushfires in Victoria? Madness. I tried to find a link for the story and drowned in the stories of death, loss and depression. And guess what? They're still burning!

For those that don't know, Saturday was the kindling. It got to 47 C. So hot. But far be it for me to whinge when I still have a roof over my head. (Seriously though - the only time I have *ever* experience that kind of hot was when I was passing through Needles, California.) The exact cause of every one of the bushfires is unknown. There's been quite a bit of finger-pointing, but I suspect that the gum trees screamed "It's too hot!" and spontaneously combusted en masse.

And I do mean en masse. From the comfortable and welldefended haven of Melbourne, I could see the gigantic clouds of smoke from the apartment window. It makes the Canberra bushfires of 2003, about which there was quite a brouhaha, pale in comparison.

Despite the horror of the destroyed lives and homes, it is quite heartening that so many people are willing to give and help out. Over the past few days, they've managed to raise several million for the relief fund. Although most of the big bikkies not coming from individuals, the fact that so many people from different places and different walks of life have dug in their pockets to help those that have taken a great spanking by the elements says something that I like to hear.

5 comments:

Tim said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Althea.

Xondor said...

Happy VD to you, Green. Unhappy VD to Tom Cruise!

DaBich said...

I wondered how close the fires were to you and to AG, now I know about YOU, gotta go check on AG tho. Glad to see you're safe and sound!

Anonymous said...

DaBeautiful?
Althea is hot! She started those fires!

I hope, but I know it won't be true that the koalas survived w/o to many casualties.

So tell us about your sister. Is she a little older? Is she capable of starting dry brush ablaze just by driving by?

You know, I can start fires myself. I have a drawer full of my own cindered Fruit-of-the-Looms.

Althea said...

Green - And to you too, moy loverr (insert Irish accent here).

Xondor - There are no words. Therefore, no words follow this statement.

Dabich - Yeah, in the inner metro area, we were safe as houses. Wait a minute..that is to say, damn. What do you say when the cliches don't hold true? Hmm.

Rudy - Whilst I do have the past-time pyro thing going for me, I did nah start no bushfires. I have two alibis. Meine schwester is beautiful but she's a wet blanket, not a firestarter.