Sunday, February 1, 2009

Historical Sign

Part the joy of "deep cleaning" is that one gets to uncover all sorts of lost treasures Indianna Jones-style. I found one such gem this morning in the form of a sign that I made when I was in my early twenties. My sister had just come back from Japan for the second time. Having moved back home from uni dorms and happily adjusted to being an only child, having her around the house was a rude awakening to certain realities associated with living with other people, that is, having to deal with other people's quirks. My sister had a quirk that involved her busting in on me while I was having a bath. Without fail almost, no matter what time I would have my bath, she would disturb a pleasant soak I was having because she needed something from the bathroom, despite my asking her on more than one occasion not to. Often without knocking. It drove me nuts. Thus, having a penchant for the passive-aggressive, I made a very colourful sign for the bathroom door during my bathtime, as follows;

  1. Are you a considerate person?
  2. Do you place value on human dignity and comfort?
  3. Do you have respect for the wishes of your fellow human being?
You posess all of these qualities, and more? Wonderful.
Then Let Althea have her bath in
PEACE (insert artfully done peace sign incorporating the 'E' and the 'A')

It gave me chuckle when I found it. If memory serves, my sister never actually saw it. My mother took it down discreetly the first time I put it up and when asked about it promised that she'd talk to the sestren. Nonetheless, it was a very good release. I put it aside (just in case). But I don't imagine that I'll be needing it in a 1BR apartment.

*does happy "I'm getting a 1BR apartment" dance*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Odd. I always seem to find what I'm looking for when I disrupt another's bath.

Still, I prefer barging into a bath w/o bubbles. Too concealing.

Althea said...

Yeah, I walked into that one. So to speak.