Monday, January 12, 2009

Brain Jam

I would like to let one and all know that I refuse to be one of those people that doesn't post on ze blog at work because they feel too much like a slacker doing so. I am a supreme slacker, and I am entitled to fit the mold of the Australian public servant in this respect.

Of course, the other difficulty associated with posting at work is being on a different thought train. I'm dealing with voluminous data here, so when I try and turn my brain towards the concept of, 'hmm, what do I feel like writing about,' my skull starts to make noises similar to the following....

Whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
Ker-chink-ker-chink-ker-chink
Da-doof-BOOM!
Crash.

And then I get distracted by something that my brain tells me to do. There is a serious traffic jam in my creative brain of ideas that want to be expressed but get compressed by the pragmatic brain. Since when was it not an acceptable excuse, either for myself or boss, that, sorry, these laptops aren't going to get delivered, because I have to write a very important blog post about white blokes who wish they were black? What kind of world do we live in?!

Won't somebody please think of the children!

I will impart one tidbit before I cease my resistance against the tide of Work. I came up with an idea for a story last year that involved two madly dressed women who sold pair of glasses that were tinted, not with colours, but with emotions, such that that it would stream the thoughts, ideas and mental states of the user through the filter of a specific emotion (or combination of emotions), with some very entertaining and thought-provoking events unfolding as a result.

The story of the two eccentric women selling emotion-tinted glasses will be told. I don't know exactly how, where or when.

But it will.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Magic glasses. Oh the predicaments you could put characters in! Endless. It's a great storyline you can bring back from time to time.

You're imagination and writing skills be astoundin to an American like moi. Really... I mean rilly! You could author some brilliant works. I'd subscribe to your online magazine. Your talent could bring in some bucks, or clams, or whatever currency you use down under. Seriously, your talelent, I think, is worth more than you realize.

I put a link for you on my blog. It's on the side in the pics. I dare you to find it, Aussie chicky!

Althea said...

I was just about to label you with a variety of unflattering names when I found the link. You are some kind of strange Mr. Rude-ster.

But very flattering. You very kind to hypothesize thus about the profitability of my writingness. I suspect you may possibly be right (shock horror). Buuuuut, one can only do one thing at a time, and the first priority has to be the getting out of this craphole of a town. We will talk further about imaginative profiteering when one is blogging from a different state.

Anonymous said...

Your right. Putting your link in a dead genius was just rude. I've changed it to a pic more befitting a woman with your brains, and hotty hot hotfulness.

scribe said...

"Won't somebody please think of the children!"

LMAO

Hey don't share your story ideas on a blog are you nuts? or as you Aussies might put it, are you wonky-blonky-bloomy???

Althea said...

Rudy - *chortles* Einstein was cool, but happy in any case, cheers.

Scribe - Considering that I haven't actually produced a completed version of a written story-type-thing (longer than a pager anyway) within the last dozen years or so, I can't claim to be overly concerned about the sharing of ideas. We are currently well-provisioned as far as ideas go.

Oh, and speak English ya drongo.

c nadeau & t johnson said...

Drongo? You're a...

DRONGO???


Anyway, let's collaborate. Wanna? Wanna? I'm serious!

Althea said...

Foh shore! But I'll have to get back to you re: logistics. I may be moving interstate in the next few weeks. Or I could be moving in three months. Too much is up in the air at this point.

If I don't get back to you by mid-Feb, feel free to remind me about it.